Monday 5 October 2015

Peach Walnut Yogurt Parfait

peach-walnut-yogurt-parfait-2
For most of my life, I’ve never really had a breakfast that I’d call my own. What I mean, is that I don’t usually have a default breakfast. Each day, depending on whatever is available in the kitchen, I grab something quick and innovate – some days it could be just a banana, others scrambled eggs and asparagus, and sometimes, when I want something warm and sweet, I cook up a quick flaxseed porridge and top it with nuts, seeds and a small portion of fresh fruit that I have sitting in the fridge.

I’ve resolved that this year, I will pay attention to what I eat for breakfast, and make sure that I give my breakfast the attention it deserves. Since it is extremely important how we start our day, I want the first meal of my day to be something that’s delicious, healthy and yet easy to bring together. Something that’s fuss-free and can be prepared in bare minutes, particularly for those rushed weekday mornings.
I’ve realized that when I begin my day on the right foot by eating a fulfilling and healthy breakfast, I don’t find myself starving by the time it gets to lunch. As a result, I also find that I can pay a lot more attention at work during the mornings, because my mind is more focused on my task at hand instead of counting down to lunch-time.
As its summer here in Argentina, I’ve been leaning towards something refreshing and light enough to greet me during these hot and bright summer mornings.
I’ve discovered (only recently, don’t ask me why), that the combination of fresh fruits, Greek yogurt and a handful of chopped nuts make an excellent and filling breakfast.
peach-walnut-yogurt-parfait-inpost
There’s just the right amount of sweetness from the fruits to wake me up from my sleep, the yogurt is fresh and light and still sufficiently creamy, and the chopped walnuts give a crunchy texture and contrast against the sweetness of the fruits.
The best thing about these fruit yogurt parfaits, is that you can prepare them the night before, keep them covered in the fridge and have your elegantly-presented parfait for breakfast the next morning – all whipped up in a matter of minutes!
It’s also an extremely adaptable breakfast – and you can choose the season’s freshest fruits to adorn your parfait. Currently, the grocery stores in Argentina are brimming with all types of peaches – those fresh, large, juicy peaches that call out to me so temptingly. Since they’re so cheap right now, I use peaches in my yogurt parfaits, but it could easily be made with berries of any type, sliced bananas, chopped mangos, or whatever fruit suits your fancy!
I use walnuts because I almost always have walnuts in my pantry, but you could also almonds, hazelnuts or macadamia nuts, and then for an extra bit of healthy boost, sprinkle on some chia seeds if you like!
Enjoy your breakfast! Play around with it!
peach-walnut-yogurt-parfait-inpost
The best thing about these fruit yogurt parfaits, is that you can prepare them the night before, keep them covered in the fridge and have your elegantly-presented parfait for breakfast the next morning – all whipped up in a matter of minutes!
 
Ingredients
  • 2 ripe, fresh peaches, cored and sliced (or 1 cup of any other fresh fruit)
  • 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt (without sugar added)
  • A handful of chopped walnuts (or almonds, macadamias, hazelnuts, etc)
Instructions
  1. Divide the sliced peaches into four portions
  2. Arrange one portion of fresh peach slices at the bottom of large glass or jar.
  3. Top with ¼ cup of Greek yogurt
  4. Add another portion of fresh peach slices on top of the yogurt, top with yogurt again, and then sprinkled with chopped walnuts
  5. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to fill the second glass/jar.
Notes
Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment